1. All of Africa was colonised by foreign powers during the a�?scramble for Africaa�?, except Ethiopia and Liberia.
2. There are 54 countries and one a�?non-self governing territorya�?, the Western Sahara, in Africa.
3. Before colonial rule Africa comprised up to 10 000 different states and autonomous groups with distinct languages and customs.
4. Arabic is spoken by 170 million people on the continent, followed in popularity by English (130 million), Swahili (100), French (115), Berber (50), Hausa (50), Portuguese (20) and Spanish (10).
5. Over 25 percent of all languages are spoken only in Africa with over 2 000 recognised languages spoken on the continent.
6. Africa is the second most populous continent with about 1,1 billion people or 16 percent of the worlda��s population.
7. The continenta��s population will more than double to 2,3 billion people by 2050.
8. The Sahara is the largest desert in the world and is bigger than the continental USA.
9. Africa is the worlda��s second driest continent (after Australia).
10. There are over one million Chinese citizens on the African continent. Angola alone has a population of over 350 000 Chinese.
11. Deforestation rates in Africa are twice the average for the rest of the world with more than four million hectares of primary forest disappearing every year.
12. Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa and the second-largest freshwater lake in the world.
13. Lake Malawi has more fish species than any other freshwater system on earth.
14. Africa has over 85 percent of the worlda��s elephants and over 99 percent of the remaining lions are on the African continent. – Online .